Case studies – ESPN
- ESPN is an American cable television network focusing on sports.
- Recently entered into Western European markets. UK operations launched in 2009.
- ESPN’s Coverage: typical American professional and collegiate sports (NFL, MLB, NHL, NCAA), as well as European football, rugby and MMA events.
- Started advertising with Expatica in August 2011.
- Reason for a campaign targeting expats: reaching out to an audience familiar with the brand, longing for TV programmes from their home country and appreciating premium content.
Aim of the Campaign
- Main goal: increasing awareness of the channel in Western Europe.
- Target audience: American citizens in the Netherlands and France.
- Promoting particular events like Superbowl or World Series, supported by a frequent change of creative.
- On the back of the initial success, campaign expanded to Switzerland and Germany.
- Use of social media; everyone has an opinion about sports.
- ESPN’s Facebook page utilised as the campaign landing page.
- Inspiring discussions to create an emotional bond between ESPN and expats.
- Staying in touch with the target audience even after the campaign end, through social media.
- ESPN’s marketers in Germany, UK and the Netherlands satisfied with the buzz generated around various sporting events.
- Number of Facebook fans increased significantly (main campaign KPI).
- Client continues advertising with Expatica.